Restate and validate the message in the video clip
iPOV's process allows average people to participate in a video recording session by ensuring that absolutely every verbal miscue will be forgiven. By processing the video and audio tracks independently, iPOV can completely replace the original audio portion of the movie. iPOV's production methods quickly replace the audio portion of any movie after the fact, because the vast majority of mistakes in video are in the audio track: misstatements, background audio, etc..., the change we produce can be dramatic. The iPOV process is shown schematically below.
Key Processing Steps
- Video-record demonstration or Q&A session with expert. Ask expert to focus on physical actions and give an informal running commentary.
- Send video files to iPOV
- iPOV transcribes the expert's speech into a draft script and cleans up gaffes and grammar.
- iPOV discards original audio
- Expert edit/rewrites script to say what they would really like to have said.
- iPOV records a voiceover from approved script.
- iPOV assembles original video, approved script and voiceover into a validated multimedia package.
The Caveat - No Moving Lips
iPOV's process has worked marvelously well in hundreds of projects. In fact, there is only one major restriction or limitation. If the video contains the image of a face speaking, it is impossible to replace the audio without creating 'lip sync' issues. Hence, this transformation only works if there is no visible speech in the video clip.
In iPOV's experience, this restriction sounds more onerous than it really is. Instructional or technical video is usually about something other than a person speaking. If a technician is fixing a machine, the viewer want's to see his/her hands. If the subject is software, the viewer wants to see the computer screen. Even when a person's whole body must be visible in the task, it is easy to provide the commentary with an off-camera narrator. In other words, there are a myriad of tricks and techniques to produce compelling video without generating lip sync issues. If you have any question at all, please call iPOV. Our bag of tricks in this respect is massive.